Friday, July 3, 2009

The Find

The day before I left on a 4 hour plane trip, I decided to finally go by the bookstore and buy some new design/vintage/antique books....and I found The Find.  

This is a wonderful book about those who like to go "junking" to find great items with a lot of character and stories behind them.

It is a fun read and illustrates how both regular people and known designers have used Housing Works Thrift Stores, other thrift stores and garage sales to outfit their beautiful and eclectic homes.

Housing Works is a non profit organization that started in New York City to help end AIDS and homelessness.  One of their social enterprise businesses is the Housing Works Thrift Stores in NYC.  This book is centered around the Housing Works Thrift Stores and branches out from there to show how others use these wonderful finds to create homes with character/charm and uniqueness!

The guy sitting next to me on the plane was captivated by all the pictures...and even asked me about the book and what it was about.    

As I have said before, my dream is also to grow my own little business into a non profit upscale thrift/vintage/resale/design shop, which benefits child healthcare issues.  I have a lot to learn and figure out, but this is a wonderful inspiration for me!

I hope everyone has a delightful July 4th holiday!

Take care,
Caroline