Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Brooklyn Flea Market



So this past weekend, my husband and I took a trip to NYC and had a wonderful time!  The weather was absolutely perfect and everyone was out and about in the city.  

I had always planned that the next time I visited NYC (which is not very frequently...the last time being more than 6 years ago), I was going to go by the Brooklyn Flea market, which I read about in Country Living....so on Saturday morning my husband and I took a taxi from Midtown Manhattan to the Fort Greene area of Brooklyn.  We had a wonderful time!

This picture is a great vintage chair that I found and thought it was just displayed perfectly!  I will have to say (besides this chair and some of the items in my other pics) the flea market was much more eclectic than what I am used to in Tennessee and Virginia...but I was expecting that and it was neat to see something new!

I found this wonderful retro pink patio set....I saw it from a distance and it just caught my eye...I am usually not this "retro" in my decorating, but if we did not have to get in a plane to go home, I think this may have gone home with me!



The Flea Market is located on the outside play area
of a local school and it is on Saturday from 10-5pm. 
You can find more information about it at 
They also have an inside flea market on Sunday, which I did not have time to go to unfortunately...but it is also described on the website above.

I found a few things that I was able to fit in
my suitcase...I was really into looking for a
vintage purse while I was there.  I think that was for two reasons...it was something I could bring home with me and a lot of booths had great purses!  I found a very classy white leather Bienen-Davis purse, which I am very happy with!  I also found a vintage apron, which caught my eye.  I hope to have pics of those items posted soon.

Below I have posted a few more pictures of the flea market....


  This is an overview of the flea market, but also showcases one of the great vintage furniture booths!


This is the school that the flea market was held at in the Fort Greene area of Brooklyn.



I loved this booth....the white and blue colors....and all the enamelware in her booth was fun to look at!

I hope to share some more pics from NYC soon...I found some great outdoor decorating ideas in the city, but I also want to share a bakery where I had some yummy cupcakes!  
Magnolia Bakery